Thursday, December 6, 2007

Marriage


Marriages are made in heavens goes a saying. You can find some version of this in almost all cultures (More about cultures in a later blog.). Since, scientific evidence for the “heavens” is lacking, I as a rationale being cannot accept the first statement. (I am too good….. ain’t I?)


I have quite a few arguments for taking the active stance, which I have taken, against Marriage.
These have been listed below:


Reasoning 1:

Marriage is the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies

The above is the definition I got from dictionary.com. It is also very close to the meaning given in my copy of the oxford dictionary.

Let me make it clear that I am not against love or more specifically romance. All I am against is the institution that is marriage.

Most of you may ask what is the difference. There is and it is quite simple, at least to me.
You have friends, right? You don’t have a ceremony to declare that this is my friend. Nor do you have a ceremony to say; my friend and I are parting ways, we are no longer friends.

See the logic? So, why have a ceremony to declare someone is your husband or wife?


Reasoning 2:

I have been asking the question “Why should one necessarily get married?” to almost everyone I know. The answer is get is “To share my life.” Or “ Imagine, when you are 50-60 yrs old. You will want someone to love and be close with.”

These answers all point to one thing: Fear. Yeah, yeah, I know. Most of you, will not agree with me. Some of you are probably thinking of some nice juicy words and lines for the comments. But people, sadly the truth is that it is true. It is fear of being alone that drives most people to marriage.

So, if you are really strong you will not have fear of being alone. Hence, you need not marry at all. This is not to say that all married people are weak, but most are.


Reasoning 3:

This is a reasoning to which great person (read, my elder sister) awakened me. I did a little research of my own and the finding did corroborate the conclusion to which I had already arrived.

This is again another major reason why many people in India marry. They want to have sex. I can hear the boos and nay’s. But people it is the sad truth about our culture. It is indeed a sad insight into our culture. We Indians push the entire topic of sex under the carpet. Have you seen any family (read, parents and children) having an open conversation about this topic? No, I have till date not come across such a situation. The result is a country full of sex-obsessed individuals. And, this is the country where marriage is considered sacred. Pathetic.

There is another reason why many men marry. They just want a unpaid house keeper who will also double up as their emotional support. A person who will put up with them no matter what they do.

Neither are the woman any more pious than men. What else does a woman want from a husband? They want a free meal. A person who will jump up to defend them, even for the most stupidest thing they do. And, the social status associated with marriage. Most women also follow the social norm that the better your spouse is (financially and socially), the better for you.



Conclusion:


I do not oppose marriage, when the people involved know each other, love each other and more importantly have respect for each other. But I do oppose people getting married for the sake of getting married.

I have not spoken about the survival of the species/procreation argument for marriage as it is a non-issue. We do not have any responsibility to increase our numbers.


4 comments:

Anooja said...

Hari....

GET MARRIED :-)

Aswin Kini said...

Hari,
Instead of having a debate on this, why don't you find a good girlfriend and marry? That would answer your questions better!!
But the problem is, by the time, you know the answer, you would be sixty :-)

Jokes apart!!
A few questions are best left unanswered.
Why don't you marry and find out for yourself?

Pavithra said...

Hi Hari,
nice thoughts abt marriage.. i liked your arguement about getting married for the sake of getting married.
You are right. People should get to know each other and only if they feel like spending a lifetime together should they go ahead.
On the other hand, not all people marry to get rid of their loneliness and practise their animal instincts. Some do marry to live together and make their lives more meaningful.
Marriage is between two human beings.Its about who you are comfortable with- the gender doesn't matter. Do you see my acceptance for another perspective of yours:)

Padmini said...

A topic very close to my heart being in the crossroads yo-yoing between the "have to"s and the dilemmas in my own mind being the matured adult I think I am.

My comments / wisecracks / advice / blah blah:

Marriage as an institution
Thought it might be interesting to share that marriage is NOT common in Europe. It is perfectly fine to introduce someone as ‘partner’ in corporate meetings or anywhere else for that matter. It’s a very progressive idea that Europeans tend to follow. They live together for even 20 years as ‘partners’. But one cannot deny the gigantic alimonies that are tucked behind such thinking / lifestyles.

Ramana, the honest truth is that friends are not forever. Family is. Marriage just might be the ceremony to induct someone into your family. In other words, it’s a gigantic set up where every person has to tend to his life partner. As a result, we are in the situation where we NEED a life partner lest we have no one for the emotional needs that we have as a human.

Marriage for the sake of marriage
It’s the worst thing that one can do to himself. I have had the privilege to meet some great minds in a recent trip of mine. Consistently, they all told me NEVER to compromise. I mean who cares if I am 30. Does that mean I need to pick up the first guy standing and wear his ring? What is to be said of love, of respect, of life itself?

What do I need from a marriage?
Like you rightly said it - RESPECT. He might be the hottest hunk but all the adrenaline is going to stop pumping 10 years into that marriage, if not 5. Not sex, not money, not protection from society. They will all change – what you need. What stays is respect for each other. I think you said it when you said respect, Ramana.

P

PS: Do not mean to lecture, but I think it is worth sharing my points of view with the “younger” generation. ;)