Thursday, November 22, 2007

Homosexuality

Why have I written a blog on homosexuality? Well, because I have been asked by quite a few people if I am a homosexual. I don't mind or care how many people ask me how many times but what disgusted and disgusts me is that the question is asked with a sneer or in derogatory tone (expect by the one person I really really really really really care about.). So, it set me off thinking that should probably write something about the whole issue. Read on...

The one thing that immediately strikes me is: Philadelphia. Why? Because, it is the one single movie that makes me cry every single time I watch it. The characters are so beautifully created that the whole film just gets recorded into your mind. And, I personally consider it to be the best movie on homosexuality.


Now, for the main issue.

In India, which is where I live incidentally, the whole issue is avoided. People just don’t want to discuss about it. They would rather have the whole thing swept under the carpet like many other things are done.

What is most depressing is that even well educated, otherwise broadminded people too shrink away from discussing the issue. Sometimes, they even pass the most disgusting jokes on the issue.

This is a country that HAD a long history of tolerance. Now, look at the pathetic state of affairs Okay, I am digressing here. More about the deplorable state of affairs in a later blog.

First of all what people, I am sad to say, don’t understand is that homosexuality is not a disease nor is it some kind of a sin. No religion ever says anything against homosexuality. Yet, the religious leaders during medieval ages and even now continue to twist the minds of people against it. Why? Because, they are demagogues.

Discriminating against homosexuality is racism. Please think before you act, they are people just like you. They too have jobs, friends, families, and ideals just like you. Why then do you want to discriminate against them? Don’t they have every right to live, as they want to, just like you do?

Criminals and terrorist are pardoned and yet these people who have not done anything wrong are harassed and jailed. What kind of a society is this? Did you know that marriage between homosexual is considered illegal is India? And guess what people, this law was not formulated by us but was constituted under the British Raj and it is still in continued use today with no change. How about that people? For a country that has tried to remove all traces of its colonial days, it still uses the same arcane laws that were setup during that period. This just goes to show how hypocritical we Indians really are about on everything.

Personally, I believe that all those closet homosexual should come out and make a stance. Marriages between homosexuals should be made legal.

If you are a person who is against homosexuality, I am going to ask you to do a small favor. Go watch the movie Philadelphia.

Here is an link to another intresting blog on homosexuality. http://wingstoneverland.blogspot.com/2007/11/are-we-homo-sapience.html

1 comment:

grace said...

i liked the other article( for 1 u hav given the link) more :)